As the situation deteriorated and the British army became involved in WWII, the aircraft owned by Netivei Avir in Israel were confiscated by the Royal Air Force and the airport in Tel Aviv was closed.
December 1940 – Dov Hoz, one of the pioneers of Israeli aviation
and one of the founders of Aviron Aviation, was
killed in a car accident. The airport is named in his
memory – Sde Dov Hoz, and is now known as Sde
November 1947 – At the end of WWII, the Jewish settlements in
Israel gathered to overthrow the British mandate,
with the goal of establishing a Jewish state in
Israel. Hahagana decided to establish an aviation
branch called Sherut Avir. Sde Dov was used as
the base for its flight operations. Sherut Avir
aspired to fly security missions, and appealed to
the British mandate authorities with a request to
operate the field under the Aviron company name
as a cover.
December 1947 – The request was approved. In addition, a number
of improvements were made to the airport, and a
300m long strip was constructed for light cargo
aircraft. At the end of December, a new air taxi
line was established between Sde Dov and Lod.
Sherut Avir also increased its use of the airport,
and flight control was being conducted from
within a huge wooden box.
End December 1947 – The first medical flight took off from the
airport. Pinchas Ben-Porat, one of the first
Sherut Avir pilots, flew with a doctor in a
Polish-built RWD13 aircraft to rescue an
injured person in Beit Eshel.
December 1947 – April 1948 - Sherut Avir's aircraft began operating
intensively from Sde Dov, including the Namer
Squadron no. 1, with 21 different types of aircraft,
with the biggest being the Dakota DC3.
April 1948 – Squadron no. 4, known as the Arye Squadron, started
operations at the airport, mainly aerial photography.
May 1948 - Sherut Avir changed its name to the Air Force.
1948 – The War of Independence: Aviron's aircraft and employees
were recruited to support the effort and were integrated into
the Israeli Air Force (IAF). During the war, Sde Dov Airport
was used as a hub for IAF operations.
May 1948 – Two Egyptian Supermarine Spitfire fighters strafed the
airport and caused great damage to the facilities and
aircraft. The anti-aircraft battery returned fire and shot
one of them down. On the same day, the airport was
attacked 4 times, and with 5 casualties and 9 injured. At
the end of the war, the squadrons were merged to form